Your Maytag dishwasher model MDB8979FSZ is equipped with a high limit thermostat. The thermostat is a safety device that regulates the temperature in your appliance and keeps it from overheating. If the high limit thermostat is failing, your dishwasher may not dry dishes all the way, or the heater in the appliance may not turn on at all. You cannot repair a broken thermostat, therefore, you will need to purchase a new high limit thermostat to replace the old one
How to Replace the High Limit Thermostat in Your Maytag Dishwasher
- Remove the screws securing the kick plate to the dishwasher. When you pull the panel off, make sure you also take out the insulation found behind the kick plate.
- Next, to locate the high limit thermostat, look underneath your dishwasher with a flashlight. Once you find the part, use your hand to detach the mounting bracket holding the thermostat to the dishwasher frame.
- Disconnect the wires running to the thermostat, and pull the thermostat housing off the mounting bracket. Then, remove the high limit thermostat from its housing.
- Now grab your new high limit thermostat and insert the part into the thermostat housing. Then, reattach the housing to the mounting bracket. Once the thermostat and housing are secure, head over to your dishwasher, and reconnect the thermostat wires to the thermostat terminals. Next, snap the mounting bracket back into the opening on the dishwasher frame.
- To reinstall the insulation and kick plate, push down on the insulation to position it underneath the dishwasher, and then secure the kick plate to the front of the dishwasher with the screws you removed at the beginning of the repair.
- Now that your new high limit thermostat is installed, plug-in your dishwasher and turn its water supply back on. To ensure the new part has corrected your appliance’s malfunction, fill your dishwasher with dishes and run a wash cycle. If the plates come out dry, the new thermostat fixed the problem.
If your dishwasher isn’t drying your dishes or the heating element is not turning on, please contact us today and we’ll be happy to help you diagnose and fix your appliance’s malfunction.