The door balance spring in your Maytag dishwasher model MDB7959SHZ helps the appliance door open and close smoothly. A damaged or broken spring will cause the door to open too quickly or it will make the door difficult to open. To remedy the problem, you’ll need to replace the dishwasher door spring.
How to Replace a Broken Door Balance Spring in Your Maytag Dishwasher
Before you get started, unplug your dishwasher and turn off the water supply valve. As you disassemble and reassemble your appliance, wear safety goggles and work gloves to protect your hands and eyes from sharp objects.
- Open the dishwasher door, and unthread the mounting screws that secure your appliance to your kitchen counter. Then, close the door, and remove the screws holding the lower access panel in place. Pull the panel and its attached insulation off your dishwasher.
- Before you slide your dishwasher forward, disconnect the appliance’s water supply line and drain hose. Both hoses are located underneath your sink. Once you’ve done that, pull your dishwasher far enough forward to access the door balance spring, which is found on the side panel near the back of your appliance.
- Using a pair of pliers, unhook the back end of the spring from the dishwasher frame, and the front end from the dishwasher door link cable.
- Retrieve your new door balance spring and install it by attaching the front hook to the door link cable, and then, with a pair of pliers stretching the spring until you can connect the back hook to the dishwasher frame.
- Once the new door balance spring is installed, stand up and push your dishwasher underneath your counter. Make sure you don’t cause any kinks in the power cord, drain hose, and water supply line. After your appliance is situated, reattach and secure the water line and drain hose to the water supply valve and air gap underneath your kitchen sink.
- To finish your repair, reconnect the dishwasher’s lower access panel and secure it with the screws you removed earlier.
- Finally, plug-in your dishwasher and turn on the water supply valve. Open and close the appliance door a few times to ensure the new door balance spring is working properly.
If your dishwasher is malfunctioning and you’re not sure what the problem is, please contact us today and we’ll be happy to diagnose and repair your appliance.